While we’re waiting for the Bordeaux 2017s and 2018s to ship and wondering about the 2019 vintage…it makes sense to collect and enjoy one of the top vintages since 2000 — Bordeaux 2016.
Wine critics have left no doubt about their enthusiasm for the 2016s. Neal Martin calls it “a fantastic, sublime and at times entrancing vintage. For once, the frothing hype that presaged en primeur was justified. The 2016 vintage already feels haloed. The promise that was so palpable in barrel remains, and many of these wines are destined to give immense pleasure.”
Meanwhile, James Suckling writes that the vintage is a “Second Coming of Bordeaux — due to the overall excellent quality of the wines and their unique character.”
“The tannins are extraordinary, refined and sophisticated,” says Thomas Duroux, CEO of Château Palmer, while Véronique Sanders, general manager of Château Haut-Bailly likens the tannins to “a caress” — an analogy we find especially appealing.
When we tasted the 2016s during en primeur, we were immediately struck with the purity and classic profile of the wines throughout Bordeaux. Now, in-bottle, the vintage is elegant and polished, but has an unmistakable dynamism and verve. We think of it as the vintage that perfectly marries Bordeaux archetypes with modern technology. The 2016s have a vivaciousness and personality that is simply beguiling. Call it “haloed” anointed, etc… in the end, it’s a vintage you need in your collection.
We still have a good number of 2016s available. A few notable properties have been scooped up, such as Châteaux Mouton Rothschild and Haut-Brion. However, there are plenty of choice bottles to be had. Here is our personal ranking of top properties:
The 2016 Top Tier
1. Château Palmer. AG-100 JD-100 $307.99.
1. Château Smith Haut Lafitte. RP-98 AG-98. $109.99
3. Château Pontet Canet. WE-100 JD-98+ $154.99
4. Château Lafite Rothschild. JD-100 DC-100. $799.99. Only 5 bottles left!
5. Tertre-Roteboeuf. AG-100 JD-99. $174.99. Only 8 bottles
6. Château Larcis-Ducasse. JS-99 AG-97. $74.99. Best buy for the money.
7. Château Figeac. NM-100 AG-98+. $233.99
8. Château Trotanoy. DC-100 JD-99. $334.99 750 ml & $679.99 magnum. 3 bottles & 3 magnums left
9. Château La Mission Haut-Brion. NM-99 RP-98+. $414.99
10. Château Pavie. JD-100 RP-100. $364.99. Only 3 bottles left.
10. Château Ducru-Beaucaillou. JD-100 JS-99. $199.99
The 2016 Overachievers
12. Château Clos l’Église. JD-97 AG-95. $99.99
12. Château Clinet. JD-99 RP-97. $99.99. Only 11 bottles left.
14. Château Haut-Bailly. RP-98 JS-98. $119.99.
15. Domaine de Chevalier. JD-97 AG-97. $79.99
16. Château Rauzan-Ségla. JD-98 JS-98. $109.99
17. Château Léoville-Poyferré. JD-98 DC-98. $99.99
18. Château La Violette. RP-97 JS-97. $298.99
19. Château Le Bon Pasteur. JS-96. $84.99
20. Château Malescot Saint Exupéry. JS-97 JD-96. $64.99
21. La Gravette de Certan. RP-95 AG-93. $73.99
22. Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey. JS-98 JD-97. $55.99
Sadly, La Conseillante, Pichon-Lalande and Pichon-Baron are sold out, but they would have deserved a spot on this list.
Outstanding Buys & Great Values in 2016
Château Barde-Haut. AG-96 JD-94. $39.99
Château La Lagune. NM-93 DC-93. $48.99
Château Faugères. JS-95 WS-92. $49.99
Château Roc de Cambes. AG-94. $56.99
Les Pagodes de Cos d’Estournel. JS-94 JD-93. $48.99
Château Labégorce. JS-95 NM-94. $42.99
Château Bellefont-Belcier. RP-93+ $42.99
Château Grand Mayne. RP-94 NM-94. $44.99
Château Clos de l’Oratoire. JS-96 AG-94. $43.99
Château Joanin Bécot. WE 94 RP-92. $24.99
Château d’Aiguilhe. JD-92. $23.99
And we wish we still had Château Poesia….
Call 850-687-1370 or write email@example.com for additional information.
Here’s to the 2016s!